from The Examiner:
A Chinese open pit toilet – source: shutterstock / NY Post
“A strange and tragic story comes to us from China where it is reported, two people were killed and several others were injured after a woman dropped her cell phone into a open-pit toilet. Fox 8 reported on June 8, 2014, that an unnamed woman in Xinxiang City, China, dropped her new smart phone into a sewer pit and those that tried to help her ended up perishing.
The woman’s husband attempted to retrieve the phone, worth an estimated $320, from the toilet, but was overcome by the stench and gasses in the toilet pit and lost consciousness and fell in.
At that point, the man’s mother dove into the pit to try and save her son, but she also passed out due to the fumes.
From here, the woman that dropped the phone tried to save both her husband and mother-in-law. She also lost consciousness and other people arrived and tried to help.
In the end a total of six people needed to be rescued from the open-pit toilet including the woman’s father-in-law and two friends. All fell unconscious after being lowered in on a rope.
The woman’s husband and his mother both had a pulse when they were pulled from the toilet, but after waiting more than an hour for medical assistance to arrive, they ending up passing away in the hospital.
OK for the safety of yourself and your loved ones; a) Never go in a public toilet in China, b) look at the picture below and repeat one hundred times,
“It’s only an effing phone.”