On a day that saw the latest nonsensical claims from the UK government about Russian government culpability for the Skripal assassination attempt back in March, we came across a story which shows how the other great “It’s The Russians fabricated narrative is falling apart.
While NATO governments were getting their knickers in a right old twist about the discovery of some Russian citizens found in possession of laptop computers, smartphones
The Russians are alleged to have launched a cyber attack on the headquarters of global chemical weapons watchdog OPCW while it was investigating the Salisbury spy poisoning, the British and Dutch security services have revealed. No evidence has been offered to link the action to the Skripal case.
Authorities in the Netherlands have named four GRU operatives who, it is claimed, travelled to Amsterdam and attempted to hack into the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons network directly.
The four men – named as Alexei Moronets, Evgeni Serebriakov, Oleg Sotnikov and Alexei Minin – flew from Moscow to Amsterdam on April 10 on official passports, where they were met by a Russian embassy official.
Three days later, they parked in a rental car outside a hotel near the OPCW building, with specialist technical equipment in the back of the vehicle designed to hack into the watchdog’s network.
If you are quite web savvy you might, as I have, understand how ludicrous it would be to try to hack the OPCW network while sitting outside in a car, with all your hacking equipment visible to passing pedestrians. And can we believe the Russians would expect an organisation like OPCW would have omitted to secure their Wi Fi network?
Well if you have believed all or any of the story about the Russians hacking the US election systems to hand the presidency to Trump, you are probably naive enough to believe this latest shite.
Meanwhile in America …
from The Daily Caller
A former top lawyer at the FBI provided “explosive” testimony to Congress on Wednesday regarding the FBI’s Trump-Russia investigation, lawmakers said. James Baker, who served as the FBI’s general counsel until May, told Congress that a previously unidentified source provided information to the FBI for its investigation, which began on July 31, 2016.
“During the time that the FBI was putting — that [the Department of Justice] and FBI were putting together the [Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act surveillance warrant] during the time prior to the election — there was another source giving information directly to the FBI, which we found the source to be pretty explosive,” Ohio GOP Rep. Jim Jordan said after a hearing, according to Fox News.
As the FBI’s top attorney, Baker was directly involved in handling applications for the FISA warrants granted against former Trump campaign adviser Carter Page.
Baker was interviewed behind closed doors as part of a congressional task force’s investigation into the FBI’s possible abuse of the FISA process. Republican lawmakers have expressed concerns that the Page FISAs relied heavily on the unverified Steele dossier.
The document, which was funded by former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s campaign and the Democratic National Committee, was cited extensively in the FBI’s applications to spy on Page.
“Some of the things that were shared were explosive in nature,” North Carolina GOP Rep. Mark Meadows told Fox regarding Baker’s interview. “This witness confirmed that things were done in an abnormal fashion. That’s extremely troubling.”