Answer provided by
Enter: “Socialism and communism have never really been tried, so we dont know what the effects would be. Those weren’t socialism and communism.”
Let’s get this out of the way. Yes, socialism has been TRIED. For a redistribution of profits and resources, you need an arbiter. That arbiter has to be the government. We’ve seen the results of it… it’s terrifying.
Now, the closest we’ve ever seen to REAL communism is Cambodia:
Cambodia went through a genocide from 1975-1979 under the Khmer Rouge. The goal was to eliminate all western influence and return to a pure Khmer (Cambodian) state, free from outside influences. In the process, 1/3 of the population was killed off and/or sent to torture prisons.
Cambodia became totally agrarian and all profit and resources were redistributed. Meals consisted of 1 spatula of rice and people resorted to eating crickets and ants. Families were separated and many fled the country to survive
You know what? Enough of the diplomatic answer. I’m about to get real. You want to know what socialism and communism do? Let me break it down.
I lived in Cambodia for two years, 30 years after the genocide. Here is the result of communism even after 30 years:
- A monk having a mental break down in my arms saying the Khmer Rouge are coming after his family
- A host family member getting drunk and crying that [they] ruined his life.
- That host family explaining how he was whipped while he watched his sister get raped
- My host mom telling me she lost her family’s business and had to start anew
- My host brother telling me he lost all 9 of his siblings
- My student being sold into slavery since his family had been displaced and squatting since the genocide
- A corrupt government that has taken advantage of the desperation of its people and remaining in power for 30 years
- Broken infrastructure that left two of my friends’ children dead
- An uneducated population that has lost a generation of knowledge
- The close elimination of a great martial art — bokator. All masters were killed.
- The mistrust of all foreign workers, resulting in murders and hostage situations (first hand experience)
- The emotional and spiritual decay of an entire beautiful culture and people that is still recovering after 40 years
Don’t EVER come to me and say communism or socialism is great and it just needs to be tried in its actual form. Until you feel and see the results of such a system, your Huffpost article and poli sci lecture from your university mean nothing to me.
THAT’S why the right is against socialism.